What is the cloud?
More and more we hear people talking about the cloud and all the things it can do. People talk that their data is in the cloud. Their music, videos, and photos are in the cloud. Their important documents and now people are even working from it. It doesn’t seem to be weather dependent; so, what exactly is the “cloud”?
The cloud is an internet based storage system. Think of it as an external hard drive that you don’t have to worry about. You can access your data from everywhere, and it’ll be easy to transfer when you update devices.
As far as where your data is physically stored, it is in a secure place often times called a data farm. These are locations that consist of thousands of servers. All storing and making sure that your data is both safe and accessible to you. Most of these farms will have a secondary location set up in case of a natural disaster.
Pros and Cons of the Cloud
- A poor internet connection can make it hard to retrieve your file
- Internet being down it is hard to retrieve your data.
- You do not have direct control over the content
- Data is typically accessible from anywhere
- You don’t have to carry a flash drive or your computer with you.
- Group projects have become even easier now that everyone in the group can work from same version, there’s no longer just one version of the latest and greatest file.
- No longer worry about a computer crash!